Monday, August 30, 2010

Principle of Good GMing: Know your Players

One of the fun things with my Rogue trader Campaign was that most of the players know the universe more then I do. Or do they?

Each of them read 80% of the warhammer 40K fiction and they are scientist/engineer minded guys.

Honestly it added a challenge so what I do is research, reading, and I bounce ideas off a non-PC also familiar with the System and story. So far this has enabled a more enjoyable time according to cannon.

There have been a few times that I was veering towards messing up but good news is I let the dice fall whee they may and the PCs enjoy that.

I also have indepth knowledge fro mthe first rigue trader but much of the fiction has changed since then.

Oh yeah...They maybe going on the great anti-Slaan crusade soon.

2 comments:

  1. It's certainly helpful to have some well versed in 40k fluff available to ask questions and bounce ideas around, and I'm sure your group appreciates all the extra effort you put into getting the background stuff consistent with the established canon of lore. Quality game mastering makes such a huge difference in the overall experience, good to hear you take your fun seriously. Now I have GM-envy. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. The way I see it I am spinning a story but can spin tragedy or comedy. But knowing what your players want is best.

    ReplyDelete